What is the phone number and email address for information and who do I talk to?
- The San Pedro Meals on Wheels office hours are 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Monday-Friday with the exception of major holidays. You can call (310) 832-7335. An office assistant is available to answer calls. For more contact options & information, you can also click here.
Do I have to volunteer every day?
- No. Some volunteer one day a week, every week. Others volunteer two days a week, and some substitute when they can.
Do I have to volunteer all day?
- No. The office closes at 1 PM. Those who drive or deliver provide approximately two (2) hours of service on the days they volunteer. Schedules vary.
What are the Meals on Wheels volunteer opportunities?
- There are always opportunities available for drivers, deliverers, and kitchen help. There are occasional volunteer opportunities for maintenance, cleaning and clerical assistance. Delivery teams are made up of at least one "veteran" volunteer for several days, so that newer volunteers learn about and become comfortable with the program.
I don’t have a car/driver’s license/I don’t drive. How can I help deliver meals?
- You can ride in the car with a "partner," carry the meals and deliver them to the client's door.
I don’t walk very well/I walk with a cane/walker/wheelchair/other, but I drive and have a driver’s license. How can I help deliver meals?
- We will discuss your volunteer capabilities before you begin to volunteer, and decide together how best to use your time and talent.
I like to cook/work in the kitchen. Can I volunteer there?
I like to work with a computer. Does Meals on Wheels need someone to do that?
- Occasionally, we do need help from those who are more proficient with computers.
I can do simple office and clerical work. Does Meals on Wheels need someone to do that?
- Occasionally, we do need help around the office; help organizing and maintaining.
I saw one of the volunteers wearing a San Pedro Meals on Wheels t-shirt. If I volunteer, can I get one?
- A Meals on Wheels "T-Shirt" is given free-of-charge to each volunteer.